Homemade Oregano oil, as well as oregano oil, is made from oregano which comes from the Lamiaceae family. It is herbaceous plant with somewhere around 36 different varieties. Oregano is most successful on dry soil in parts of the world where there is a lot of sunshine and moisture. You can come “Wild Marjoram” since it is close relative of “Sweet Marjoram”. The name “Oregano” roots from two Greek words, “ganos” which means joy and “oros” meaning mountain. When you put them together we get a really nice and powerful name, joy of the mountain.
Oregano oil has been proven to have the following beneficial abilities
- Carminative – Less gas is produced in the stomach
- Cholagogue – Release enzymes easier from the gallbladder that aid digestion of fats
Production of oregano oil includes complex distillation process. This is used in the industrial process for producing oregano oil. While the industrial process of creating oregano oil takes away a lot of it’s beneficial abilities, there is a simpler recipe for homemade oregano oil that has the same qualities and even more.
Homemade Oregano Oil Ingredients
- Oregano leaves, a lot of them, crushed or chopped
- Olive oil, grape seed oil, or almond oil
- 2 Clean jars
- Boil some water. Once it has hit boiling point, turn off the flame.
- Take the oregano leaves and put them in one of the jars.
- Pour the oil in the jar with the oregano leaves inside.
- Put the jar in the hot water and wait at least 10 minutes. During this stage, the water heats up the oil. This way the oregano leaves release its natural oil and nutrients.
- Boil water in a saucepan. Let it reach a rolling boil, and then turn off the flame.
- Put your oregano leaves into a jar and then pour the oil over the leaves in the jar.
- Place the jar into hot water and allow it sit for 5-10 minutes. This process heats up the oil and allows the oregano to release its natural oils.
- After the process of releasing it’s natural oils is done, take the jar out of the hot water and place it on a window that gets a lot of sunshine.
- Shake the jar every few days.
- After 2 weeks open up the jar sitting on the window. Clear the oil from the oregano leaves and put the oil in the second jar. Store it in a cool and dark place.
Homemade oregano oil can help you against various health problems.
We selected few and in our opinion most important few.
Homemade Oregano oil is widely used across Europe in respiratory remedies to treat cold, bronchitis, asthma or the flu. It can be used both internally as well as externally. It also helps against inflammations. Furthermore, homemade oregano oil can act as a mild sedative.
As we mentioned earlier oregano oil has anti-oxidant properties. Homemade oregano oil is same and even better. It will protect the blood vessels and your heart from various harmful diseases.
Homemade oregano oil is widely used to relieve menstrual pain as well as issues like absence of menstruation. It brings better blood flow and boosts uterine contractions, thus enabling better and painless menstrual flow.
Homemade oregano oil anti-fungal ability is of great help in battles against nail fungus or athlete’s foot. Don’t forget oregano oil is in the group of natural warming oils. First, test it while applying small amounts.
Oregano oil is also widely used on patients that suffer from psoriasis, rosacea, candidiasis or eczema. Still take homemade oregano oil with caution. Always blend it well coconut or olive oil and apply lightly on affected areas.
Arthritis and muscle pain
Homemade oregano oil has the perfect anti-inflammatory abilities due to it’s natural warmth. It is the perfect solution for relieving muscle pain or aches. For this you just need to massage the affected area and you will feel improvement right away.
Also you can use oregano oil in your dishes. It is great.